HOMEPATH : not changed when /etc/passwd was changed

I changed my username in /etc/passwd from "Terrence Brannon" to "metaperl"

And was elated when clicking on the cygwin start icon to login as metaperl.

However, HOMEPATH is set to \Documents\Terrence Brannon
and I cannot (a) unset HOMEPATH (b) export HOMEPATH=/home/metaperl to any good effect

at the shell successfully.

When I try (a), Cygwin acts as if I had typed nothing: the value remains the same
When I try (b),
(b1) export HOMEPATH=$HOME does not change anything
(b2) export HOMEPATH=/home/metaperl changes it ,
but then xemacs still comes up with a white on white screen when I open a shell