Re: (Cygwin) Installation & Uninstallation issues

At 08:57 PM 10/5/2003, Tim Dierks wrote:
At 08:32 PM 10/5/2003, signa@birch.net wrote:
Did you try renaming the present install, and any relevant registry entries, and
retry after that (to avoid bad blocks in filesystem or a munged NTFS structure
that NTFS somehow hasn't gotten around to repairing?)

I've tried renaming C:\cygwin, rebooting, and attempting to delete the directory while there is no 'current' cygwin installation. Searching the registry for 'tabs' (the name of the leaf directory) finds no relevant instances. A disk check for NTFS problems didn't help.

I did find the problem. At some point, something had changed the owner of /ver/cron/tabs to "System". Resetting the ownership on the cygwin directory and all children, then resetting the privileges on it and all children, enabled me to delete it.

- Tim