Re: SSH connection close when _any_ user logs out of W2K

>    From: Larry Hall <cygwin-lh at cygwin dot com>
>    To: Matthew Hilty <mhilty at artic dot edu>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
>    Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:53:46 -0400
>    Subject: Re: SSH connection close when _any_ user logs out of W2K

>At 05:23 PM 9/30/2003, Matthew Hilty you wrote:
>>Hello,
>>        I've noticed on a recent installation of OpenSSH under cygwin
>>(followed  http://tech.erdelynet.com/cygwin-sshd.html) that users
>>connected to the server via SSH have their connections closed if any
>>Windows user logs out of the desktop. The SSHD daemon still functions,
>>it just closes active sessions.  After this, I can SSH back to the
>>server and my session stays active until I intentionally log out, or
>>another Windows users logs in, then out.  Any insights or references
>>would be wonderful; I've been combing mailing lists and usenet and can't
>>find a similar description.

>If you followed installation instructions for OpenSSH from another site,
>then you should direct your questions about problems with OpenSSH to that
>site.  tech.erdelynet.com is not cygwin.com and this list, as a result,
>can't support information for it.  My best recommendation, if you'd like
>someone on this list to entertain the notion of investigating your problem,
>is to uninstall and reinstall OpenSSH via setup and then to configure it
>as /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh-*.README suggests.  If you still see the
>same problem, you'll want to visit <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> first
>and then follow-up with this list providing the information requested
>there.  FWIW, I just tried a quick test here and I don't see the situation
>you described.  I can't say that this is significant.  Only that I can't
>reproduce the problem with the information given and my Cygwin-supported
>install. ;-)

I just want to flag up the fact that I'm now seeing the same problem, also on
a Win2K box.  Any processes spawned by sshd are killed when I do a Windows
logout.  This used not to be the case, so I'll find out whether I see the
problem if I revert to the previous version of sshd.

I also used the installation procedure in the tech.erdelynet.com website.  It
boils down to the following - I can't see how it conflicts with anything in the
README file:

1.  Set the Win2K CYGWIN system environment variable to ntsec tty
2.  Install sshd using the setup program
3.  Run ssh-host-config -y, also giving 'ntsec tty' in response to the prompt
    for the CYGWIN value
4.  Change some file permissions and ownerships (the significant part being to
do: chown system:system /var/log/sshd.log /var/empty /etc/ssh_h*)
5.  Run cygrunsrv -S sshd to start the sshd daemon.