Re: various sundry things

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 05:16:12PM -0700, Edward Peschko wrote:
>> Misconception: In your private email to me that the -mwin32 was a
>> "use-win32 mode" flag.
>
>no, you mentioned -mwin32, I was wondering what the hell
>you were talking about, and repeated it. I thought you were
>discussing a possible solution.

I never mentioned -mwin32.  I also never mentioned -mno-cygwin since
I was sure that someone on the cygwin list would do so.  I was not
trying to give you a possible solution.  I was trying to redirect
you back to the discussion that you started in the cygwin list.

I had a long response to the rest of this message but, surely people are
bored by this now so I will make a couple of brief points.

- The purpose of much of my email was to point out that you *had*
  misconceptions of which you needed to be "disabused".  It was not to
  say that you were stupid or evil for having the misconceptions.

- Posting private email without permission is always bad.  There is
  no excuse for it.

- I read the mingw-users mailing list regularly and see no indication
  of cygwin resentment.  I communicate regularly with two of the
  main developers and work closely with one of them.  The main mingw CVS
  repository is on sources.redhat.com.  If there is "bad blood" between
  our projects I am very interested in correcting that.  The only bad
  blood that I can think of is my dismay at the msys fork.  Earnie knows
  about my dissatisfaction there but we are still on very cordial terms
  since we are both grown ups.

- The example on http://www.delorie.com/howto/cygwin/mno-cygwin-howto.html
  clearly shows that -mno-cygwin is used to both compile and link programs.

- I, and others, use the 'CC=gcc -mno-cygwin' configure thing all of the time.
  When that doesn't work, I use make 'CC=gcc -mno-cygwin'.  Possibly adding a
  --host=i686-pc-mingw32 --target=i686-pc-mingw32 will also help in some
  circumstances.

- Yes, I know.  "uname."  "Simple environment variable."  Yadda, yadda, yadda.

That's it for me.  I'm glad to say that I will not be responding any further
to this thread.

(a thunderous roar from the list ensues)

cgf