1.5.5-1 command substitution hangs (0% cpu) on XP

I have seen a number of references to this problem, but none of the fixes
seems to work.  I have used cygwin on many systems and not had this problem.

Basically any form of command substitution hangs with 0% cpu usage.  Usually
after a fresh reboot, the problem will not occur for the first couple times
I do it and then once the first command substitution hangs, none of them
work again until a reboot.

Simple commands such as
Echo `echo hi`
Or
echo `date`
Or
The same using $(date), etc.

Have the same results as the post install scripts.

On this computer the setup has never completely worked always stopping on
the post install scripts.

I can see the sh.exe processes in the task manager and have to kill them
off.  As I do this the progress meter of setup will continue until I have
killed all of the locked sh processes and the setup finally finishes.

I have tried
* the recent version of bash that was offered here
* giving everyone full rights to cygwin and the entire c drive.
* setting USER and HOME
* making sure there are no spaces in either
* various settings for CYGWIN (thought I had it there after a reboot). Now
my CYGWIN is just: ntsec

here is my
bash-2.05b$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 Consultant01 1.5.5(0.94/3/2) 2003-09-20 16:31 i686 unknown
unknown Cygwin

And my cygcheck -svr is attached.

The hang script hangs with both versions of bash (although not the first
time or two after the fresh reboot).

I'm not sure what to try next.  If anyone can point me to a document that
might help, or if you have any suggestions to try or some more information I
can provide, it would be greatly appreciated.  And I apologize for having to
ask for help on what I am sure is a EBCAC.  I have never had this problem
before.

Also important to note:  I think everything was working fine until the XP
downloaded and installed some update it "needed."  But it is too late to
verify that.  I have deleted cygwin and reinstalled it several times
(including removing the regedit entries.

Thanks again for anybody's help,

Geoff