RE: Installation from locally stored packages

I guess you're concerned about spam harvesters ?

> >> I'm sure that it is much more than 1/2 but it doesn't matter anyway. Just use wget or curl to download the files.
> >
> > - and 'wget' runs on ?
>
> Um, both run on Linux, Unix, and windows.  This can't be too surprising given cygwin's purpose.  We obviously don't develop specific tools for cygwin for this purpose.

Not at all surprising, it sounds like just what is needed. I'm looking forward to using it.

> >> Right.  The initial poster couldn't have searched too hard if they couldn't find this since it seems to come up every couple of weeks.
> >
> >Really ?  I must improve my lurking skills - I can't recall having seen a request for help downloading Cygwin via a Linux
> machine before. Maybe the OP's request isn't as unusual as I first thought !
>
> As long as you are intent on improving your skills maybe you should work on your line wrap skills too...

Interesting concept. To be honest, I'd always considered line wrapping to be a function of whatever editor software was displaying the text - not something which every other user in the world spends ages doing for themselves. I don't mind though, but I'll need to know at what line-length you want the lines to be wrapped. Unfortunately, here where I work we are somewhat constricted in our choice of software and have to put up with M$ Outlook for an e-mail client. It seems to enjoy inserting frequent line feeds unfortunately (or should that be unfortunate line feeds frequently ?).
Kevin.