Re: Crash when compiling Sitecopy

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Frantisek Fuka wrote:

[snip]
Thank you all for the help. The problem was that I kept the old
cygwin1.dll because I needed it to run the old sitecopy version.

FWIW, there should be no need to do this.  Newer versions of cygwin1.dll
should let older applications run just fine.  If this is not the case,
it's a bug and should be reported.

I investigated it further and found out the following:

I had OLD cygwin1.dll in c:\windows\system\ directory. This is probably something I did a long time ago so that I could run the old sitecopy.exe form the standard Windows .BAT script (without using bash or any other cygwin component).

If I understand it correctly, the actual cygwin1.dll should always be in c:\cygwin\bin, where it is. Strange thing is, when I tried do compile the new sitecopy, the compiler crashed (see previous messages) beacuse of the old DLL in the \SYSTEM directory. When I deleted this DLL (without doing anything else), the compilation finished without problems. I have no idea why was cygwin looking into \SYSTEM dir, if the needed DLL should be (and was present) in \bin.

So, now I have the latest cygwin but I can no longer run it from a standard Windows BAT file because it doesn't "see" cygwin1.dll file (and other DLL files it needs). How to solve this cleanly? Copy the DLLs to \SYSTEM directory? Or is it enough to change the current directory to "c:\cygwin\bin" before running sitecopy.exe?

Thanks

--
                                         Frantisek Fuka
(yes, that IS my real name)