Re: cvs and NTFS streams do not play well together...

It seems that the standard stream notation is "::". programs like Notepad can
read and write to NTFS streams using the :: (double colon notation). That
would seem to indicate thay are valid pathnames that describe a "file" of data.
I.e. -- ":" is valid in a pathname on an NTFS file system to indicate a stream.

":" also is a valid chacter on linux. Sounds like a built-in incompatibility.

Note, that if you do a dir of file::stream, it won't showup, but you can open it,
so if cygwin implements the "open" call by first calling "dir" it will fail.

-linda

Brian Dessent wrote:

aspiesrule@mcleodusa.net wrote:

Hi, I am using Cygwin 1.5.5 and cvs 1.11.6 on top of Windows NT 5.1.2600
SP1. When I try to "cvs co" a file with a colon in its name, cvs gets
horribly confused by NTFS streams and commits suicide. The exact error
message is as follows: (note: I was checking out the "src" module on
the "HEAD" branch in the FreeBSD Project's CVS repository when this cropped
up)

Filenames under Windows (both FAT and NTFS) cannot contain colons, so I'm not really sure what you're expecting Cygwin to do here. It's a fundamental Windows limitation.

That said, you should try a managed mount for your cvs checkout
directory.  It's still an experimental feature but trying to use a
filename with a colon on a normal mount is guaranteed to fail so I don't
see that you have much to lose.

Brian

-- --- Capitalism: The rewarding of software companies for producing software of the least quality the consumer will buy.