Re: ssh configuration that is pulling my hair out!

Christopher Faylor wrote:

I actually suspect that this is one of many cases where a FAQ entry
would be of little help and I'm always wary of adding so much verbiage
to the FAQ that it becomes unusable.

I suppose it's the same thought process that prompts people who install 3rd party products built on top of ancient versions of Cygwin to come over here to ask for help with their installation.

I think a specific FAQ is indicated for this (it's a frequent enough pattern): if they install a Cygwin distribution, or configure any component of the distribution, using instructions or software from anywhere other than cygwin.com or its official mirrors, they need to go back to the source to ask their questions first.

Larry's FAQ entry sounds quite reasonable. Maybe add a clause about Cygwin software downloaded from or distributed by non-cygwin sites.