Re: cygwin processes and system'ed processes using 100% CPU

Please start a new thread rather than replying to an old one for new
issues.

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Steven Hartland wrote:

> General question has anyone else seen processes running under
> cygwin using 100% CPU when the shouldn't.
> The background is cygwin 1.5.5 I have a perl script which
> monitors process cpu levels. It does this using serveral system
> calls to other utils, ps, vmstat and pslist ( win32 app from
> sysinternals ). The script samples every minute recording the
> results.
> Now 99% of the time all is fine but sometime when actually
> running ( every minute ) it and the utils it spawns most notablly
> pslist use 100% cpu. So much so that if you have the desktop
> open it will freeze for the few seconds that its sampling for.
> Its very strange once its doing it it will continue to do so for each
> sample until restarted. The only pattern I can see so far is that
> it tends to happen when said script is started from sub shell
> script via a ssh -l user "restart.sh"
>
> Anyone seen anything similar? Alternatively what do people
> think is the best approch to find the issue? On FreeBSD truss
> would be my first port of call.

On Cygwin, I would suggest "man strace".

> Thanks for that Brian I was avoiding 1.5.6 due to the amount of issues
> I've seen flying around with it. Looks like they have settled with -1 so
> I will try upgrading 1 machine and see if I can reproduce. Cheers.

That is/was probably a good idea, but please test with the latest
snapshot.  See http://cygwin.com/snapshots for details.  Thanks.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer