Re: Local (polish) characters

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Krzysztof Duleba wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> >> Is there a way to make Cygwin display polish characters? I see no
> >> setconsole, setfont programs, nor /etc/sysconfig directory. Does Cygwin
> >> support local character sets at all?
> > Cygwin supports local character sets only
> > to the extent that your version of Windows supports it.
>
> The problem is that everything works fine in cmd.exe.
>
> Polish special characters are produced with right alt and a letter key. Is
> Cygwin somehow intercepting such combinations? I suppose so, as right alt +
> a gives (arg: 9) on the display (in cmd.exe such a combination results in
> 'a' with a hook), right alt + l gives (arg: 3), and right alt + u gives ?
> (alt + u have no special meaning for me, I was just curious and tried out
> all the combinations of right alt with a letter). Other combinations have no
> result.
>
> Regards
> Krzysztof Duleba

Krzysztof,

I see.  You weren't asking about *displaying* Polish characters, you were
asking about *entering* them, and that's a whole different ballgame.  In
fact, you're talking about entering them in *bash*, which isn't the same
as most other Cygwin programs, as it uses readline.

First off, test whether entering the non-Roman characters via 'Alt-<key>'
works in other Cygwin programs, e.g., 'cat' (and I don't know if it does,
since in the Russian input locale, Alt-<key> isn't used for entering
characters).  Next, test whether pasting the non-Roman characters into
bash works (this will bypass the Alt-<key> mechanism).  If it doesn't
work, put the following into your .inputrc:

# Allow 8-bit stuff
set meta-flag on
set convert-meta off
set input-meta on
set output-meta on

Then you might look into remapping the right Alt key to be different from
the left Alt (again, I don't know if that's possible, I'm just suggesting
potential avenues of exploration).  Googling for something like "readline
left right alt" turned up some interesting Cygwin-related hits.  Googling
for "AltGr bash" actually provided a very good solution as the first hit
(<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/1997-10/msg00156.html>), and some other very
interesting (albeit older) threads.
HTH,
	Igor