Re: Plausibility of sendmail?

AG <andy-glew@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> NMH can be configured to send email directly to an SMTP server,
> but this is not sufficient to meet my needs
>    a) this is a TabletPC, a mobile device, which frequently is not
>        connected.  I.e. outgoing mail needs to be queued and sent
>        later when the outgoing SMTP server is accessible.
>    b) I need to route email selectively: my company mail is not
>        supposed to go through my personal, non-company, ISP,
>        and vice versa.
>
> In my limited understanding I require more than just connecting
> to an SMTP server; I need a mail transport agent that can queue
> outgoing mail for several different outgoing mail servers.

In principle ssmtp is a drop-in replacement from sendmail, but it
doesn't have full sendmail functionality; it will ignore or bomb on
most command-line options.

All that ssmtp can do is forward mail to an SMTP server.
It can choose which server selectively based on the From address.
It doesn't queue; but I use it on a frequently unconnected machine, with
a homegrown script to queue mail in such a way that I can ssmtp it
later.  ssmtp has the benefit of being trivial to configure.

Exim is much more powerful, and almost certainly can be used as a
complete drop-in sendmail replacement in the way you want.

Robert