Re: failure of unzip and recent cygwin1.dll

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

> At 01:20 PM 2/16/2004 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 12:36:14PM -0500, Thomas L Roche wrote:
> >>
> >>No, I have discovered considerably more. Consequently my question is,
> >>is the path_conv bad?
> >
> >What you are debugging is the consequences of cmalloc being NULL.  While
> >that may illustrate that cygwin should recover more robustly from such a
> >situation, it is not directly related to the problem at hand, namely,
> >"Why is cmalloc returning NULL?"
>
> I noticed that a) Thomas' file names are unusually long and
> b) path_conv::set_normalized_path calls cmalloc only for long paths.
>
> Thus I decided to check if the normalized path is correctly freed.
> That would explain why cmalloc is returning NULL.
> As far as I can see, it isn't freed, at least not all the time.
> When running /bin/ls very_long_path I see 4 allocs and 2 frees.
>
> However I don't find an obvious bug and I don't have the time to pursue
> this for the moment.
>
> Pierre

If I read the code correctly, normalized_path has to be explicitly freed.
One of the places normalized_path is freed is in conv_path_list_buf_size,
and the cfree is followed by the following FIXME comment:

	cfree (pc.normalized_path);
	// FIXME - probably should be in a destructor but
	// it's hard to justify a destructor for the few
	// places where this is needed

I believe a destructor would be cleaner, and the current code obviously
misses at least one more place where this is needed.  Unfortunately, with
my copyright assignment in flux, I can't send in a patch.  If noone fixes
this by the time I can send patches, I'll try to send in a fix for this.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu