Re: cygwin Mailing list

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 08:51:43AM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>> Now if you just think of "quality" of posts where just is said "This has
>> been discussed, search archives". Well if bother to reply at all, why
>> not bring some content, e.g. title of thread that discussion were. Oh
>> wait... but that would take few more words to type, and of course, it
>> would be too informative, note that still this is _cygwin_ list, an
>> cygwin is not for newbies. (*evil grin*).
>
>Ooh, ooh, have we got ourselves a new catchphrase here?  CGF?  Maybe even
>an acronym: "CINFN"? :-)

Sounds good to me.  Even though it's not true.  I'd say that most of this list
is devoted to "newbies", whether they are debugging newbies, gcc newbies,
postgres newbies, ssh newbies, etc.

>>>While I do not claim any kind of authority, could I suggest perhaps a)
>>>being a little nicer to newbies (it isn't that hard really) and b) if
>>>you feel the need for a post without any useful content (perhaps just
>>>saying "search the archives") to send it just to the author of the mail
>>>in question?
>>
>>Well, it's not anything about authority, just basic manners when
>>dealing...  Hmm, you could say "customer support" here...
>
>Yep, customer support is worth every dollar you pay for it.

Yep.  Perhaps unsurprisingly, I was about to type in the same thing.  It
seems to be a very frequent case that people assume a burden of
obligation flowing to them when they download something from a free
software product.  Cygwin seems to suffer from this outlook more than
most projects I've seen, maybe because we're not just providing source,
we're providing binaries.

And, then, we are also running on Windows, so there is a Windows mindset
to deal with, too.

>from std::string, I'm sure you and RedHat can work something out.  The
>"core" people mentioned above are too busy fixing Cygwin bugs (or
>shielding others from repeated questions so they can fix Cygwin bugs).

I don't think I've thanked the people here who diligently answer
questions.  I may be mean but don't think for a second that I don't
thank God every day that you are all donating your time to help the
newbies.  It's really impressive how responsive and helpful you all
are.

cgf