new to cygwin, not understanding a setup issue...

Hello, I am new to cygwin. I am running a windows 2000 machine. I just finished downloading and installing cygwin. When the setup finished I ran the Cygwin icon on my desktop, got the bash prompt and every command I type comes back "command not found". The head of the bash window reads "bash: /etc/profiles: Permission denied". Is there a cygwin for dummies out there somewhere?? I know the Win32 environment pretty well but really don't know much about bash/linux command evironments. If anyone knows of any dummy tutorials I'd sure love to know about them. I work at a computer shop as a technician and am constantly helping people understand PCs and windows but know it is my turn to be on the learning end.:) Thanks for any suggestions to point me in the right way!!

-Adam Reiswig