Re: Java Thread Dump in Bash

Frank-Michael,

I hesitate to continue this on the Cygwin list, but I will, for now.

At 09:45 2004-02-18, Frank-Michael Moser wrote:
Randall, does your Java application die after pressing Ctrl-Break or not?

It appears it terminates. As you've had me trying this much more than I ever have in the past, I've found that the behavior is not really very uniform or predictable.

When the program's standard input and output are not redirected, I see the thread dump and the program dies--usually, but not quite always. Sometimes the program just terminates. I had interpeted the termination as an indication of an end-of-file having been generated, but that may have been incorrect.

When I run the program with standard input, output and error redirected to files and type CTRL-BREAK, the program terminates but the thread dump is nowhere to be seen in the file that received standard output, the file that received standard error nor the console / tty.

I could hypothesize that the recent changes in Cygwin signal handling might have something to do with this. However, I know nothing of the details of this change, just that a change was mentioned in the Cygwin release notes. So this is really just blind speculation, especially since I really don't have much of a basis for comparison (in a before-and-after sense).

Randall Schulz