Re: python and cygwin

I guess the problem is, as I see it, if cygwin was the "perfect" unix tool
running under windows, it would integrate with existing windows tools. It
does that to some extent, but not fully and that is the problem. If I want a
pure unix environment, on the other hand, then I would use the real stuff,
such as Linux or qnx on which I do most of my work... but nothing is perfect
as we know..

When I open up a "cygwin-bash" on windows, I just thought that I could use
my already installed "win-32" python. I realize now that you can't and I
think that creates problems. As a programmer I don't like do have to
duplicate things. I only want one "repository".

> > and both are running in windows!
>
> No, one runs in Windows and the other one under Cygwin. You can always
> run the Cygwin binaries from Windows (ls, d, etc. work for me in a
> Windows cmd.exe console window). Many Windows binaries work *directly*
> in Cygwin bash or zsh (also much slower, so it's wise to execute them
> in a cmd subshell).

It sounds as if you are talking about cygwin as an operating system, on
which you can run cygwin applications. Sounds weird, they are all running on
windows as far as I can see.. at least on my machine.
cheers
/tk