Re: Shared installs

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:51:01 -0400, Larry Hall typed:
> At 10:43 PM 4/12/2004, you wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:18:09 -0400, "Christopher Faylor"
>> <xxx@xxx.xxx> said:
>>>
>>> The tool you need is mount.
>>>
>>> Just typing "mount" will show you how your mount table is laid
>>> out.
>>>
>>> Typing "mount -m" will show you the commands to recreate the
>>> mount
>>> table on another drive (assuming consistent drive lettering).
>>>
>>> Even better, typing "man mount" will show you how to use mount.
>>
>> How about an FAQ entry:
>>
>> How do I install Cygwin to share over a network?
>>
>> Having more than one person to be able to access a single shared
>> instance of Cygwin it is not much different than doing a local
>> install:
>>
>> 1) Install to a network drive. Make sure the the drive you pick
>> will have the same drive letter for everyone.
>> 2) On the machine you used for the install, add the DOS path to
>> the cygwin bin to PATH
>> 3) Fire up a shell and type
>> mount -m > remount.sh
>> 4) On every other user's computer, just add the cygwin bin to the
>> PATH, execute remount.sh and give them a shortcut to cygwin.bat
>

> We try to limit FAQ entries to those that are frequently asked.
> This one
> comes up but only once in a while.  The idea is if the FAQ becomes
> to full
> of "stuff", it will be too hard for anyone to use.  So we try to
> keep it
> at the "manageable" level by using the axiom above.  This would be a
> reasonable thing to add to the Users Guide IMO.  If you're up to
> it, skim
> through and see if you can see a good spot to add it.  If you can
> create
> a patch, I'm sure this will get included.

Well, I fired up cvs and tried to grab src/winsup/doc. I ended up with the whole system somehow - thank goodness we are not up on dialup.

I figured out what needed modification and made the mods. I then tried firing up the build system to see if I didn't screw things up. ./configure seemed to work ok, but make didn't - no db2html. I searched all the source code (since I had it anyway) but didn't find any files named like db2html nor did I find any entries in any Makefiles to build it.

Is there a single search that can be done to figure out in what package db2html might be, so I can download and continue?

--
Matthew O. Persico