Re: Cygwin setup window size, why no maximize button enabled ?

utomo wrote:

And also better if the setup can download simultaneusly, or preparing
for the next file. Now if we look at the download process, the connecting time (for each
file) is consuming time. If the download process can reduce this, I
believe the download will be much faster.

A much more useful addition I believe would be for cygwin to be able to download patches to previously downloaded packages (in the basic case when you've kept the .tar.bz2 files it downloaded, which it does by default). I have actually been doing this for a few friends for a while now via a simple bash script which makes patch files and puts them on an FTP from which friends on 56k can download them and apply them using another script. If you pop these into the downloaded packages directory cygwin setup will (as expected) recognise the packages are already downloaded and install them without re-downloading them.

I think that his would be a useful feature to have more offically (my script is hacky and breaks every so often, and I'm not telling everyone my FTP's address), but after a few days digging through setup.exe I got hopelessly lost (but that could say more about my programming than setup.exe)

If anyone has the programming experience I'd be happy to help (particuarily I have a reimplementation of bsdiff hanging around somewhere, which seems to be the best binary diffing program around, but is under some strange anti-GPL licence. At some point I'll get around to cleaning it up).

Actually, I'm sorry for a) blabbling and b) asking legal questions, but this is related to a package I'd like to submit to cygwin. Imagine the following situation:

1) I download source to bsdiff, read code and documentation
2) I describe the basic algorithm to a friend and point him to papers online which describe how to do various mathematical transformations.
3) Friend write bsdiff clone which is not file compatable but does the same kind of thing.

now.

a) Can my friend release this under the GPL? (and therefore try to get it included in cygwin
b) As I read the original program, am I now irreparably "tainted" and cannot work on fixing / extending the code?

Chris

Regards,

Utomo