RE: Cygwin make thinks a statement can be neither true nor false....

  Ach, thanks.  I had a space between the 'error' and the ':' everywhere
else I've been using it like that, but I forgot this time, and suddenly
couldn't work out what was going wrong.

>   Possibly a bug in make, as I'd expect it to complain
> about an undefined function named "error:".  Similar
> constructs are also silently ignored:
>
>   $(foo This isn't a valid make function)
>   $(bar Neither is this)
>
> -Samrobb

  Yeh.  And when it can't find an include file, I'd like it to complain,
rather than just silently add it to a list of missing dependencies, then get
to the end of the file and only complain about the first missing dependency.
As it stands I can't see any difference between using "-include" and
"include".

  <sigh> gmake needs a LOT of work in the
emission-of-useful-and-accurate-diagnostics department.  All too often it
just silently does nothing without explaining why, and the only choice you
get is that or a million tons of debugging output which doesn't usually
contain any useful information whatsoever about what make is actually doing
and why.  Gah!

    cheers,
      DaveK