Re: problem installing libiconv-1.9.2

Steve Kelem wrote:
What's the trick to getting libiconv to install? If I try to do "make install" from tcsh, I get the message:
/bin/install -c -m 644 .libs/cygiconv-2.dll $dldir/cygiconv-2.dll
/bin/install: cannot remove `/usr/lib/../bin/cygiconv-2.dll': Permission denied

I assume that this is because I'm using cygwin/tcsh.

probably, the DLL is "in use". What I do is a
'make install DESTDIR=...'
and install iconv into a tmp directory. From there I can (a) close all cygwin apps and manually copy the files to the right places, or more typically (b) create a setup-compatible installation tarball and then use setup.exe to install it (setup handles scheduling of finish-install-after-reboot, etc.)

Aint MSWindows grand?

The main reason I'm trying to recompile iconv is because after building gd-2.0.22, I cannot get the perl module GD-2.12 to link, so I'm trying to build a more recent copy (1.9.2) of libiconv:

Ah, the gentle nudge...

Any updates will have to wait until I'm not working 80+ hours a week. Which means late May, it seems.

--
Chuck