RE: Wishlist additions for setup.exe

> -----Original Message-----
> From: cygwin-owner  On Behalf Of Robert Collins
> Sent: 20 April 2004 15:53

  See, now all the secrets are coming out!

> That is why the choose mirror dialog allows you to choose multiple
> mirrors. Setup will then use cached copies from any of the chosen
> mirrors.

  And this is meant to be obvious from the page title "Choose *A* Download
Site" or the instruction "Choose *a* site from this list, or add your own
sites to the list"?  I rather think not.

  To be fair, the title bar says "Choose Download Site(s)", but that really
doesn't override the clear and explicit instruction immediately above the
chooser to choose only one.

> I wager that you have been changing mirror for some reason. Don't -
> choose a list of mirrors to satisfy your needs and leave them
> selected.

  And why not?  There's no instruction that says "Choose A download site -
or more than one - but for god's sake make sure it's the same one - or more
than one - that you chose last time".  This requirement is utterly
undocumented.  I thought setup was meant to be clever enough to make a
merged list of all the stuff you had in all your download directories: are
we now being told that actually it only looks in the ones which are enabled
in the chooser, rather than just enumerating which directories exist in the
install temp dir?  What do you do if you have downloaded masses of packages
from a mirror that has gone away since and is no longer listed in the
chooser - do you just have to abandon them?

    cheers,
      DaveK