Re: gettext-0.12.1-3 (+gettext-devel+libgettextpo0+libintl2) ques tion

Eric Lassauge said:
> I had problems with gettext enabled programs when
running
> Cygwin with a french locale
> (LANG=fr;LC_ALL=fr;LC_CTYPE=iso-8859-1), all
translated
> messages containing special characters (0x160 to
0x255 :
> letters with accent,
> grave,...) where bad: é (small e acute) was
displayed 'e (accent+e = 2
> characters)
> for example.
>
> Am I the only one to see that ? Is the underlying
system (see
> my cygcheck
> output)
> the cause ? I recompiled from source (using
> gettext-0.12.1-3-src.tar.bz2) and the new generated
version
> has not this problem ...

The cygwin version of gettext is compiled with
libiconv, which provides translation between the input
(message catalog) character set and your output
character set.

Cygwin uses newlib. Newlib only supports the C
(USASCII) character set.

Despite setting LC_CTYPE, libiconv thinks you're using
the USASCII character set, and gettext transliterates
to that character set.

When you recompiled (without libiconv), gettext can't
do the character set conversion and just outputs the
text in the input character encoding (which happens to
work).

You can get around this with the distributed gettext
by setting the environment variable OUTPUT_CHARSET to
your desired character set. Note that if your terminal
is not using that character set you might not see the
correct characters.

Dave.