RE: shutdown( socket, SHUT_WR ) - unexpected behaviour

WFM too on WXPproSP1, cyg-1.5.7.  I wonder if your server is somehow
responsible.  What happens if you add a connection header, like this:

const char *MESSAGE = "GET / HTTP/1.0\r\nConnection: keep-alive\r\n\r\n";

Just kind of wondering if the apache is prematurely dropping the line when
it sees the FIN.

    cheers,
      DaveK