RE: Trying to link an MSVC DLL with a Cygwin Application

On Mon, 3 May 2004, john george wrote:

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.

> > > From: john george
> > >
> > > I'm trying to link a MSVC++ created DLL with a cygwin application.

> > > This gives me undefined refernce to function name
> > >
> > > Is there anything that I'm missing?
> >
> > The g++ and MSVC++ mangle C++ names differently.  This makes it very
> > difficult (perhaps impossible) to link a MSVC++ created DLL with a g++
> > compiled (cygwin or mingw) application.
>
> Can i resolve the name mangling issue by adding the extern "C"
> declaration for every function that I'm exporting in the MSVC created
> DLL.  I tried this but doesn't seem to work.  Is there any other way to
> do this.

Theoretically, the above should have worked, as long as you turned off
name mangling on *both* ends (i.e., declared the exported functions as
'extern "C"' in both the MSVC DLL, and your program headers).

Checking whether the undefined reference is to the mangled name or not
should tell you on which end you forgot to 'extern "C"' the function.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu