Re: newline in patch command output

Hello, Brian!

Thank you for a prompt reply.

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 06:50:43AM -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:
> patch is a tricky area in terms of line-endings.  This is mostly
> explained in <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-03/msg00492.html>.

Wow! How did you locate this message?

I see it appearing in results for "patch newlines" but not for "patch
newline" (I use marc.theaimsgroup.com).

> Patch can read in either binmode or textmode (depending on the mount and
> presense of --binary) but it always writes its output in binmode, which
> is what causes your CRs to go away.

So, my only option is having a hacked version of patch that writes with
CR?

BTW, I've tried also diffing and patching CR/LF terminated trees in Unix
mode. Patch failed to apply diff output (it was LF-terminated, IIRC) to
a CR/LF-terminated tree. Any idea why?

> Corinna might be able to clarify why this must be so.

I would greatly appreciate if she does.

With kind regards,
Baurjan.