Re: Scripts for calling Internet Explorer,Explorer,Word,Access,Excel from Cygwin

Hello,

* On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 01:40:16PM +0100, zzapper <david@tvis.co.uk> wrote:
> With help from this NG have created the following scripts, I think
> they are very useful especially wexp. (Paths to various apps on your
> PC may vary of course). Excepting wexp all require a filename as
> parameter eg > wmdb test.mdb
> [...]
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # wexp
> # description : Launch Windows Explorer with correct "Windows" path
> XPATH="$(cygpath -w "${PWD}")";
> echo $XPATH
> explorer $XPATH
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # wpdf
> # description : Launch Acrobat Reader with correct "Windows" path
> XPATH=`cygpath -w "${1}"`;
> echo $XPATH
> C:/Program\ Files/Adobe/Acrobat\ 6.0/Reader/AcroRd32.exe $XPATH &

These kinds of solutions are imperfect -- cygstart's solution as well.
- They do not handle multiple files
    -> wpdf *.pdf
    -> cygstart *.pdf
- They do no handle some special option, like '/e' for explorer
- They do not handle some "binary" options like << -c /e/ >> with gvim

Hence the script cyg-wrapper.sh (check my signature).

BTW, until now, I was using << $COMSPEC /c start >> to launch a win32
application i did not want to be attached to the current shell.  It no
longer works (probably since the last time I patched XP).
I can not rely on cygstart as it accept only a limited number of
characters on its command line -- unless it has been fixed since the
version 1.0
And << $cmd2execute <&0 & ; disown >> never worked.
Does anybody got an idea how to fix that ?

--
Luc Hermitte
http://hermitte.free.fr/cygwin#Win32 (Vim TIP #381 BTW)