RE: PATH and HOME in cygwin

Mr. Kampe:

I understand your frustration, but your experience is not everyone's.

So far, I've installed cygwin on 7 different machines.  One Windows 98,
two Windows XP and at least 4 Windows 2000 systems.  Of the seven, all
were installed from the Internet, all were done at different points in
Cygwin's development, all were clean installs (no previous version of
Cygwin existed) and NONE of them have an /etc/profile file.  All have an
/etc/profile.d directory.  None have gone through the postinstall
scripts without at least one of them hanging.  Only after some time have
I gotten man to work.

It is clear the Mr. Fay doesn't understand bash well.  He obviously
doesn't know the purpose of /etc/skel.  He may not understand man.  If
he's just doing a man command, there's a lot of information that gets
scrolled by.  It takes a dozen or more readings before you understand it
all, presuming you've never used a Unix shell before.

I had to set PATH and HOME in my Windows environment to get them to be
set properly in Cygwin.  I would think telling Mr. Fay that he needs to
set them in the Windows environment would have been a much more useful
reply.  Suggesting the reading of a book on shells wouldn't be quite
useful either, since Cygwin does things just a little differently.  A
pointer to the Cygwin document might have helped.  I'm still looking for
it.

Chris Carlson
iStor Networks, Inc.