Re: Cygpath: Path name conversion Issue

On Jun  8 10:14, Dave Korn wrote:
> [...]

It shouldn't.  The \Device\ path is an NT native path, which isn't
accessible directly through Win32 calls.  I didn't test it myself but
I suspect that using CreateFile fails.  Prepending \\.\ shouldn't
work either since it's just the Win32 equivalent to the NT native
\??\ path which is an NT native directory full of symbol links.
E.g. the raw harddrives are symlinked there as \??\PhysicalDriveX.
Consequentially you can access them as \\.\PhysicalDriveX from Win32.
This is explained in the MSDN CreateFile manual page.  The problem
with accessing \Device\foo directly from CreateFile should be that
it collides with Win32 paths.  CreateFile should typically prepend
the current drive so that it tries to open X:\Device\foo.

Corinna

Cygwin Co-Project Leader          mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.