Re: License issue

On Jun 16 16:38, Baurjan Ismagulov wrote:
> > > This was my point. I couldn't find this on the web page; I'd like to see
> > > it mentioned (please point me to the text if I overlooked it).
> > It's not there.  Seriously, did you see a *written* offer from Red Hat,
> > to give any third party, [...] a complete machine-readable copy of the
> > corresponding source code [...]?
>
> Erm, let me express myself more clearly. I've meant mentioning the
> exclusion of 3b, not its inclusion.
>
> Suppose the following scenario: a company wishes to distribute an
> application that uses cygwin1.dll. It reads
> http://cygwin.com/licensing.html and http://cygwin.com/COPYING and
> decides to proceed according to section 3b. It prepares two CD-ROMs, one
> with the binaries and one with the sources (both for the application and
> cygwin1.dll). Only the first one is distributed (with a source code
> offer); the second is available on request.
>
> This is a real case; what I fail to see is, how the legal dept. should
> know that the section 3b of GPL is foreclosed?

No, that's not the case.  If this company decides to fulfill the GPL
by offering the sources under the 3b clause, that's fine.  But that's
not the easiest way to go since it requires to create the written offer
and to keep the exact sources used for the original project handy for at
least three years.  What this company can not do is, to rely on Red Hat
to keep sources for three years and then point their customers to the
Red Hat web page.  If they do, they are infringing the licensing.

Can we stop discussing that now?  We had this point already a lot in
the past.  You should find it in the ML archives.

Corinna

Cygwin Co-Project Leader          mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.