/usr/bin exists not; man can't find nroff; permissions inconsistent

Hello,

After installing cygwin, I am encountering some issues. cygcheck's output attached:

First, I tried to man bash. Nothing appeared on screen so I hit `q'. Then, it says that nroff was not found.

$ man bash
/usr/bin/nroff: not found

Then, I checked whether nroff existed:

$ ls -l /usr/bin/nroff
-rw-r--r--    1 Carlo    None         1955 Dec 16  2002 /usr/bin/nroff

Thus, I thought it existed but the permissions were not set well. I then tried to change the permissions:

$ chmod 755 /usr/bin/nroff
chmod: changing permissions of `/usr/bin/nroff': No such file or directory

As you see, it says that the file does not exist. Strange, isnt't it? Then, I tried catting the file. Here's what I got.

$ cat /usr/bin/nroff
cat: /usr/bin/nroff: No such file or directory

Thus, I tried going to the /usr/bin directory itself and catted nroff to see if it really existed:

$ cd /usr/bin

$ ls -l nroff
-rwxr-xr-x    1 Carlo    None         1955 Dec 16  2002 nroff

$ cat nroff
#!/bin/sh
# Emulate nroff with groff.

prog="$0"
# Default device.
# First try the "locale charmap" command, because it's most reliable.

<Rest of output snipped>

Thus, it exists.
Then, I again tried doing an `ls -l' on nroff, first *not* specifying its fully qualified name (FQN), and afterwards, specifying its FQN. Here's what I got:

$ pwd /usr/bin

$ ls -l nroff
-rwxr-xr-x    1 Carlo    None         1955 Dec 16  2002 nroff

$ ls -l /usr/bin/nroff
-rw-r--r--    1 Carlo    None         1955 Dec 16  2002 /usr/bin/nroff

As you can see, the first listing says the permission is a 755. The second listing says the permission is a 644. This seems to me strange. Why does the permission for the same file appear differently when accessed via different means. (i.e. specifying its FQN; not specifying its FQN)?

Thus, I thought that /usr/bin/nroff was probably hardlinked from /bin/nroff and that this linking might have caused some problems so I checked out /bin/nroff. /bin/nroff existed. I found out that /usr/bin/nroff is indeed a hardlink to /bin/nroff but I didn't see why this could really cause a problem.

Then, I tried opening a cmd prompt to check if there is any clue I could get from it. This is what I got:

--------Start windows cmd output------------
$ cmd
Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

d:\cygwin>cd usr
cd usr

D:\cygwin\usr>dir /w dir /w
Volume in drive D is PROGRAMS
Volume Serial Number is 701A-F5A8

Directory of D:\cygwin\usr

[.]               [..]          [src]         [local]
[tmp]             [include]     [share]       [doc]
[man]             [sbin]        [autotool]    [info]
[i686-pc-cygwin]  [etc]         [var]         [X11R6]
[grace]           [ssl]         [libexec]     [logs]
[i686-pc-mingw32]
          0 File(s)              0 bytes
         21 Dir(s)   1,703,936,000 bytes free

D:\cygwin\usr>dir bin
dir bin
Volume in drive D is PROGRAMS
Volume Serial Number is 701A-F5A8

Directory of D:\cygwin\usr

File Not Found

D:\cygwin\usr>dir d:\cygwin\usr\bin
dir d:\cygwin\usr\bin
Volume in drive D is PROGRAMS
Volume Serial Number is 701A-F5A8

Directory of d:\cygwin\usr

File Not Found

d:\cygwin\usr>

--------End windows cmd output------------

The directory d:\cygwin\usr\bin does not exist. (i.e. It is neither listed with `dir /w' nor `dir bin' nor `dir d:\cygwin\usr\bin') It appears to be linked somewhere else.

I would appreciate it very much if anyone could point out which part of the source code I could tweak. I'd like to learn diagnosing problems in source code level.

Another thing to note is that cygcheck reports several warnings of this sort:

Found: d:\cygwin\\bin\ls.exe
Found: d:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe
Warning: d:\cygwin\\bin\ls.exe hides d:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe

What could be the problem on my system? I know I'm missing something.

Thank you so much!

Best Regards,

Carlo
------