Re: Options for Source Code Control: RCS v. SCCS v. CVS

Richard Heintze wrote:
> I need some help understanding how RCS works. I typed
> "info RCS" and felt confused.

RCS more-or-less dead. I don't think it's seen a new release in years.

> Does cygwin include the CVS windows service? If so,
> how do I start it up?

On Cygwin, you run CVS the unix way.
That is, ssh or inetd.

> Can I assume that the CVS I see in the cygwin
> documentation is the origional CVS ported to windows
> and not CVSNT?

The original CVS ported to *Cygwin*. Which is somewhat different to "ported
to windows".

> Are RCS and CVS the only open source programs for
> source code control?

Not at all:
http://better-scm.berlios.de/

Subversion is even packaged and available via Cygwin setup.exe.

> What is SCCS?

I imagine that Google can help you here.

> I believe that is a
> propietary program and not avialable as open source.

http://cssc.sourceforge.net/

Max.