Re: sending email from Cygwin

At 11:07 AM 7/14/2004, you wrote:
>On Jul 14 10:31, Larry Hall wrote:

>> >But presumably not to ssmtp.
>>

>> Correct.  The symlink created points to exim.

>> >Sorry for the misinformation.  Maybe the cron package readme should
>> >mention how to configure ssmtp (or maybe it does already).
>>

>> No, it doesn't.  This does raise a question about whether the cron package
>> should list ssmtp as a dependency though.
>
>The cron postinstall script sets up a symlink to ssmtp if /usr/sbin/sendmail
>doesn't already exist.
>
>I don't think cron should contain a dependency to ssmtp though.  It would
>be the same as to have a dependency to exim.

Well, I brought it up since it explicitly creates the link to ssmtp.  An
easier alternative would simply be to check if ssmtp already exists before
creating the link, though that might not work as well in the cases where
both are being installed at the same time.

This isn't a big issue but it would make things more complete/correct.

> And why should cron.README
>contain hints about how to set up ssmtp?  That's the job for the ssmtp README, isn't it?

Agreed.  At most, it could contain a pointer to the ssmtp README.  Going
beyond that isn't wise IMO.

Holliston, MA 01746