Installed fine and yet having issues...

Hello,
? I am knew to the list and after spending 3 days of looking over docs, faqs
and web pages I have resigned myself to asking now.? I am using Windows XP
Pro with the latest install of Cygwin.
Everything seemed to install fine with no errors however when I start up the
bash shell, I cannot even use the simplest of commands.? I have attempted to
go by the advice others have give to what I think were related questions but
nothing seems to work.? I am not striving to run X11, I mainly just wish to
use gcc and related things like make and configure.? I am kind of new to
cygwin, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,