Re: sending email from Cygwin

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 11:24:01AM +1000, luke kendal at cisra.canon.com.au wrote:
> On 15 Jul, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> >  >: /home/luke ; exim -oi luke < /tmp/smff3624
> >  >2004-07-15 17:56:06 Exim configuration file /etc/exim.conf has the wrong
> >  owner, group, or mode
> >  >: /home/luke ; ls -l /etc/exim.conf
> >  >-rwx------+   1 luke     Domain U    22025 Aug 29  2002 /etc/exim.conf
> >
> >  That should have been set correctly by the postinstall script. The incomplete
> >  /etc/group prevented success.
>
> So mkgroup -l needed to be added to /etc/group.  But setup doesn't do
> this - which may be fair enough?

It does, in postinstall/passwd-grp.sh
In your case it looks like somebody ran "mkgroup -d" and overwrote /etc/group
instead of appending to it (or running "mkgroup -l -d").
No such mistake was made for /etc/passwd

> But the consequence is that after
> exim is installed, it won't work: there's more work to do.  That may
> be fair enough.

This list would have even more traffic in that was the case...

> The missing piece of information for me was that exim-config needs to be
> run before you can use exim.  (Perhaps exim-config even checks for the
> mkpasswd -l step to have been done?)

How can we best insure that people know about and run XXX-config?
exim-config does check that the important groups/ids are present. It would
have detected your problem. There is little traffic about exim on this list
(well, this thread is an exception), partially because I add features to
exim-config as issues arise.

> Anyway, I think that's basically fair enough.  It would be nice if exim
> *itself* reported that running exim-config might be a good idea.  (Is
> exim-config used on other platforms besides cygwin?)

It's not used on other platforms, AFAIK.
As you have noticed in your 2nd try, exim won't run if a few conditions
are not satisfied. Verifying those is basically what exim-config does.
You don't even need that to send e-mail, at least if the postinstall ran OK.

> >  >But probably I'd need to run exim-config to have a serious chance of
> >  >success?
> >
> >  It's only required if you operate a mail server, but in this case it will
> >  set the permissions correctly.
> >
> >  The reason why you don't see the rights (previous e-mail in thread) is most
> >  likely that you get them indirectly through membership in a group.
>
> That's true.
>
> >  If you are curious about that, the User control panel is your best bet.
>
> Yep, if you look at that you can see which group (Administrators, Power
> Users, or Restricted Users) you're in.  "editrights" won't tell you
> that, as far as I can see.

The User control panel will also show the privileges (rights) that those
groups have.

You could also see what groups you are in by using "id", and then using
editrights to find the privileges of those groups. Not sure if it
can report that.

> Thanks for all the info and help,

You are welcome.

Pierre