Re: UNC Pathname Handling within Applications

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 11:32:56PM +0200, Thorsten Haude wrote:
>Hi,
>
>* Christopher Faylor wrote (2004-07-16 23:19):
>>On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 09:55:49PM +0200, Thorsten Haude wrote:
>>>* Larry Hall wrote (2004-07-16 21:19):
>>>Your email client *sets* Mail-Followup-To, so it must be pretty crappy
>>>to ignore it on inbound mail.
>>
>>This field is added by the ezmlm software that is used to manage our
>>mailing lists.
>
>Ah, so he is just ignoring good advice given by the list software.
>Thanks for clarifying that.
>
>Sorry Larry, your mailer is not crappy.

You must have forgotten.  He said his mailer does not honor this header
not that he, personally, is ignoring it.

Larry said that he would try to avoid sending you an extra copy in the
future and he has explained the reason for his email habits.  You don't
have to agree with his reasons but continuing to carp at him is
pointless.

>>>I've never seen an MDA recipe that deletes the *first* mail of an
>>>identical set.  It's rather hard to do, too, since the MDA would have
>>>to remember where that first mail went.
>>
>>More things in heaven and earth, Horatio?
>>
>> From the procmailex manpage:
>>
>>   If  you are subscribed to several mailinglists and people cross-post to
>>   some of them, you usually receive several  duplicate  mails  (one  from
>>   every  list).   The following simple recipe eliminates duplicate mails.
>>   It tells formail to keep an 8KB cache file in which it will  store  the
>>   Message-IDs  of  the most recent mails you received.  Since Message-IDs
>>   are guaranteed to be unique for every new mail, they are ideally suited
>>   to  weed  out  duplicate mails.  Simply put the following recipe at the
>>   top of your rcfile, and no duplicate mail will get past it.
>>
>>	  :0 Wh: msgid.lock
>>	  | formail -D 8192 msgid.cache
>
>I don't intend to install procmail to test this, but are you sure that
>this recipe deletes the *first* of the two mails? From the manpage, it
>looks like the second mail would be removed.

You're right.  It doesn't delete the first.  I didn't think you really
meant to delete the first message since that seemed to imply some kind
of precognitive ability -- how could a program ever know when there are
potentially N copies of a message being sent?  I guess you could delay
every email message delivery for an hour or so to make sure that you've
gotten them all but that isn't foolproof.

I don't understand why it matters that the first message would be
deleted since you can't predict if the message would be directly to you
or to the cygwin list.  However, please don't enlighten me since I can
live with not knowing.  More importantly, your personal email
preferences and my ignorance of same are really off-topic here.

Perhaps most importantly, shouldn't you be hard at work on Nedit now
that you know that there is no way for cygwin to reach inside the
program and stop the Nedit path handling software from deleting needed
double slashes?

Hmm.  Maybe there's a market there.  If we could develop that
precognitive mail software, how hard would developing a DLL that
telepathically changed the program flow of path handling software be?

*pause*

Nuts.  psychicsoftware.com is already taken.