Re: Solution to a problem of accessing remote file shares when logged in via ssh

At 08:30 PM 7/28/2004, you wrote:

>I found a solution to a ssh/cygwin and file sharing (smb/samba)
>problem which had been bothering me for quite a while.  I looked at
>the FAQ and did some google searches and see where others have
>reported a similar problem in the mailing list archive but didn't
>see the solution I came across being reported.
>
>My problem was that I am using a persistent file share directory
>created using the command on machine A running Windows 2K and has
>cygwin installed:
>
> mount -f -s -b -E "//MachineB/dirName" "/dirName"
>
>and if I was using Machine A I could do a "cd /dirName" and
>it worked fine, but if I tried to ssh into Machine A and then
>do a "cd /dirName" I got a permission denied error.
>
>Previous suggestions in the mailing list for similar problems (related
>to "net use") were that it may be related to the setting of the CYGWIN
>environment variable by setting or unsetting either nosmbntsec or
>smbntsec values for it.  However that didn't change anything for me.
>
>What finally worked for me was to go to
>
> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services
>
>and to change the LogOn userid for the "CYGWIN sshd" service from
>"Local System account" to a particular user on my domain.  Now things
>work OK for me if I ssh in and want to access remote file shares.
>
>This may not be the right solution for all situations, ie. if you have
>multiple people logging in to a machine via cygwin/ssh and they all
>need to get their own privileges, but it works for my needs as I just
>need one account one this machine and I'm the only one who uses it.

Yep, that's one option.  Another is to use 'ssh' with password authentication
rather than public key.  A third is to make the share in question accessible
by everyone, so authentication isn't required.  Each of these options has a
downside but may be viable for particular situations.  AFAIK, these are the
only three options that allow one to get access to a network share through
'ssh'.

Holliston, MA 01746