Re: cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines (reprise)

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 12:03:16PM -0400, Chuck McDevitt wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 11:41:39AM -0400, Chuck McDevitt wrote:
>>I've also been trying to convince my company to donate a hyperthreaded
>>machine to someone on the cygwin project, but so far, management's
>>reaction is "How do we know anyone will work on the problem, even if we
>>give them a machine?" And I'm not even sure who we would send the
>>machine to.
>
>cgf wrote:
>>I would probably be the best candidate and I would work on it if a
>>machine was donated.
>>
>>FWIW, I have a multi-cpu machine and have, in the past, run the
>>supposedly failing tests for days without problem.
>>
>>Btw, please don't include raw email addresses in your replies.
>
>The problem only appears if there is something else running
>on the box that is creating processes, such as a large make,
>or some other kind of heavy load.
>
>I've run the test for a good day or so on a box with no other load, and
>the problem didn't occur, but doing several makes and/or builds in
>Visual Studio at the same time, and the bug would occur very quickly.
>
>P.s.  I've tried to get this stupid Lotus notes to not send any raw
>email addresses, but it's hard to tell what it is really sending, as it
>doesn't show me what the e-mail will
>look like to you.    Notes is a major pain-in-the-ass, but it's what I'm
>stuck with here.

(Well, whatever you're using, you're making it pretty hard to have a
normal mailing list discussion since you're top-posting and not using
any attribution.)

Anyway, I have tried doing other things while the tests were running
without problems.  My SMP system is a dual PIII 733, so maybe it just
isn't powerful enough to trigger the problem.