Re: crontab/mount problem

At 06:44 PM 9/28/2004, you wrote:

>> >Here's the exact problem
>> >$ crontab -l (my crontab)
>> ># DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and
>> >reinstall.
>> ># (/tmp/crontab.1572 installed on Mon Sep 27
>> 17:10:53
>> >2004)
>> ># (Cron version -- $Id: crontab.c,v 1.7 2003/04/15
>> >15:13:41 corinna Exp $)
>> >HOME = "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Sonic"
>> >BASE="/cygdrive/k/rekha/runSonic"
>> >* * * * * /usr/bin/touch "$BASE/foo.txt"
>> >1>${HOME}/sonicOutput/cron.out 2>${HOME
>> >}/sonicOutput/cron.err
>> >
>> >Here's the output of cron.err
>> >$ cat cron.err
>> >/usr/bin/touch: creating
>> >`/cygdrive/k/rekha/runSonic/foo.txt': No such file
>> or
>> >directory
>> >
>> >NOTE: I can see the contents of cygdrive/k from the
>> >shell. I only have problems while using the cron.
>> So
>> >if I excute this command like follows it works
>> >rbelur@rekha /tmp
>> >$ touch /cygdrive/k/rekha/foo.txt
>> >
>> >$ ls -ltr /cygdrive/k/rekha
>> >total 92
>> >-rwxr-xr-x    1 rbelur   mkgroup-    12302 Sep 27
>> >17:07 cron_diagnose.sh
>> >-rw-r--r--    1 rbelur   mkgroup-        0 Sep 27
>> >17:34 foo.txt
>>

>> Read this:
>>

><http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-SWITCH>
>>
>> If you've installed cron as directed, you won't have
>> access to non-publicly
>> accessible shares.  Your options are to make the
>> shares accessible to all
>> without authentication or run 'cron' as a service
>> under the same user as
>> owns the crontab.  The former opens up your share's
>> permissions
>> significantly.  The latter makes 'cron' usable by
>> only you.
>>

>Thanks for the response and sorry to bug you folks but
>I have tried reading the email archives and trying
>some different things to no avail.
>
>I changed my permissions, so now
>
>$ ls -ltr /cygdrive
>total 0
>drwxr-xr-x    1 rbelur   Domain U        0 Dec 31
>1969 y
>drwxr-xr-x    1 rbelur   Domain U        0 Aug 11
>12:35 x
>drwxr-xr-x    1 rbelur   Domain U        0 Sep 14
>17:11 w
>drwxr-xr-x    1 rbelur   Domain U        0 Sep 22
>12:10 k
>drwxrwxr-x+  18 Administ root            0 Sep 28
>15:01 c
>

>I have only one option which is to run the cron user
>as "rbelur" to try to get cron to read my network
>drive. To that end I did the following
>$ cygrunsrv --stop cron
>$ cygrunsrv --remove cron
>$ cygrunsrv --install cron -p /usr/sbin/cron -a -D -u
>"rbelur" -w "mypassword"
>
>$ cygrunsrv --start cron
>cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService:
> [...]

Try:

<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-07/msg00155.html>

Assuming 'cron_diagnose.sh' reports something, you should review it and
make any appropriate changes.  Keep in mind that most people use this
when setting up 'cron' to run as a service under 'SYSTEM', so YMMV.  It's
probably a permissions problem.  You can check the logs in the Windows
event viewer and '/var/log/cron.log' as well for hints.  Permissions/
ownership of '/var/cron' may need to be changed.  Don't forget to
read '/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/cron.README' too.  That should give you a
few things to look at/try. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746