Re: PostInstallLast addons?

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 06:19:07PM -0700, Lex Ein wrote:
>On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 16:19:36 -0400, "Christopher Faylor"
><cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com> said:

>> >Very unlikely.
>> >These are quite massive processes in contrary to _update-info-dir
>> >
>[...]
>
>> Boy, I started a makewhatis at the start of this message.  It's been
>> a few minutes, and it's still going.
>>
>> <pause>
>>
>> It took *seven* minutes to complete (cygwin sucks.  why is it so slow?
>> discuss amongst yourselves) I guess we really can't add this to the
>> setup process.
>>
>> cgf
>
>How about a few extra checkbox items on the "Cygwin Setup - Create
>Icons" screen
>in setup.exe?
>
>"Cygwin Setup - Finish
>
>  Create icons
>     Have setup create icons for easy access to the Cygwin environment.
>     [ ] Create icon on _Desktop
>     [ ] Add icon to _Start Menu
>
>  Optional tasks - (may take many minutes!)
>     [ ] Build database (makewhatis) of man page short descriptions for
>     'whatis' & 'apropos'.
>     [ ] Build database (updatedb) of file names for 'locate'.
>
>  Display README information at exit.
>     [ ] Display /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/ directory of README files.

I think that's a very good idea.  It would need to be conditional on the
existence of man and, I guess, find, though.

I think we've discussed adding optional dialogs to setup at one point.
Maybe packages could somehow register themselves with setup as they are
installing so that this kind of thing could be added on a per-package
basis.

cgf