Re: chere problem with network-share handling ?

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 05:08:07AM -0700, Dave wrote:
>OK, this appears to be an issue with quote processing. Here is a session,
>starting in a command prompt.
>
>-----
>C:\>c:\cygwin\bin\bash -l -c "cd '\\minime\music'; exec /bin/bash"
>/bin/bash: line 1: cd: \minime\music: No such file or directory
>
>Administrator@minime ~
>$ cd '\\minime\music'
>
>Administrator@minime //minime/music
>$ /bin/bash -l -c "cd '\\minime\music'; exec /bin/bash"
>/bin/bash: line 1: cd: \minime\music: No such file or directory
>
>Administrator@minime ~
>$ cd "'\\minime\music'"
>bash: cd: '\minime\music': No such file or directory
>
>---- end ----
>First command shows behaviour of the full command as I would expect it to be
>evaluated from the shell menu. Response as reported.
>
>Second command shows that the bash shell can process the cd command correctly.
>
>Third command retries the full command from the bash shell, eliminating
>cmd/windows evaluations.
>
>Fourth command duplicates the double quoting used by the main command.
>
>To me this indicates that double '\' within ''' and '"' quotes are not
>preserved.
>
><quote man bash>
>Enclosing  characters  in  single quotes preserves the literal value of
>each character within the quotes.  A single quote may not occur between
>single quotes, even when preceded by a backslash.
>
>Enclosing  characters  in  double quotes preserves the literal value of
>all characters within the quotes, with the exception of $,  `,  and  \.
>The  characters  $  and  `  retain  their special meaning within double
>quotes.  The backslash retains its special meaning only  when  followed
>by one of the following characters: $, `, ", \, or <newline>.  A double
>quote may be quoted within double quotes by preceding it with  a  back-
>slash.
></quote>
>
>From this I would expect the double '\' to be preserved since it is within
>single quotes, whose special meaning is retained when within double quotes.
>
>It seems the double quote rules are overriding the single quote rules within the
>single quotes.
>
>Am I reading this right?

Yes.  Once you quote the outer thing with the "", the backslash interpolation
is done according to "" rules.

I guess I haven't been paying close attention.  Why are the slashes
getting changed to backslashes?  That's not right.  It should be using cygwin
paths.

cgf