Re: Distributing Cygwin-based software

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, Soeren Nils Kuklau wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, Soeren Nils Kuklau wrote:
> >
> > > [ sha1 call doesn't link ]
> >
> > Try linking it with -lcrypto? ;-)  I'm surprised it works on OS/X, though.
>
> LDFLAGS = -lpthread -lcrypto
>
> We do. ;-)

No, you don't.  You need

LDLIBS = -lpthread -lcrypto

Also, FYI, -lpthread is a no-op on Cygwin.

> > This is *not* the right list for discussing how to subvert the existing
> >
> > Cygwin installations on users' machines by distributing your own copy of
> > cygwin1.dll (though this *has* been discussed in the past - search the
> > list archives).
>
> Okay, but what /would/ be the right place? Since I don't think people
> will be willing to install Cygwin just for being able to use a single
> other piece of software...

So try MinGW...

So try MinGW...  See also <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP>... :-)

> > Cygwin is an emulation layer.  The Cygwin distribution contains a set
> > of packages that use this emulation layer.
>
> Exactly - but where to discuss projects that use the emulation layer and
> aren't part of the distribution (thought they might eventually be)?

On the mailing lists devoted to such projects.  Or, you can ITP your
project for inclusion into Cygwin on the cygwin-apps list -- see
<http://cygwin.com/setup.html>.

> > > At the same time, however, we do not want Windows-based users to
> > > feel forced into Cygwin's behaviours.  We want to distribute a
> > > Windows application - GPL'd, with some Unix-style quirks, and
> > > compatible to the other major OS'es out there, but Windows
> > > nevertheless.
> >
> > So maybe the MinGW project is more like what you're looking for, then.
>
> Indeed; we're looking into it.

Be aware, though, that you won't get full POSIX functionality that Cygwin
provides -- only those parts that are directly supported by the MSVC
runtime.  In particular, you'll lose the ability to understand POSIX
(Cygwin) filenames.

> > > Those who truly want a full Unix experience wouldn't use Windows in
> > > the first place, and thus not Cygwin either.
> >
> > This is not true at all (to put it mildly).  Those who want POSIX behavior
> > on Windows *will* (and *do*) use Cygwin.  But this particular point is
> > better <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TITTTL>ed.
>
> Right, but I wouldn't define "POSIX behaviour" as "full Unix experience" ;-)

Hey, we're getting there -- see the efforts on porting Gnome to Cygwin...

> But yes, that's OT.

Yep.  A perfect topic for the cygwin-talk list... ;-)
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw