Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST VERSION: chere-0.4-1

Dave,

A few suggestions...

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Dave wrote (heavily snipped):

> [snip]
> However, it requires the co-operation of your login script to avoid your
> home directory when the environment variable CHERE_INVOKING is set.

I wonder if it's better to choose a less package-specific variable name,
e.g., NOCDHOME.  If you want to keep the variable as CHERE_INVOKING in the
rest of the package, simply create a /etc/profile.d script (e.g.,
chere.sh) that will set NOCDHOME if CHERE_INVOKING is set.

> New invocation only tested on W2K. It relies on windows to set the
> working directory before starting the shell. I'm not sure if other
> versions of windows will do this.

I believe this is standard Windows behavior in all versions, otherwise DLL

> You must have Admin priveleges to install the context menus.

Why?  Can't they go into HKCU?

> The windows control panel uninstall will not work if you uninstall
> chere.

Huh?  Uninstall for what?  For "chere"?

> If you are about to remove cygwin, uninstall the context menus
> first.

Perhaps this could be done in a preremove script?  Have chere add a line
for every context menu installed to /etc/preremove/chere-installed.lst,
and have the preremove script run uninstall for each line in that file...

HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw