RE: startup problem // no longer works // profile not called

  Presumably that non-cygwin installation of texmf that you have in your $PATH is
breaking the cygwin one:

Path:	C:\texmf\miktex\bin
	C:\WINNT\system32
	C:\WINNT
	C:\WINNT\System32\Wbem
	C:\cygwin\bin
	C:\cygwin\X11R6\bin
	C:\DJGPP\bin
	C:\my-root\sys\unix-mks\bin
	C:\mingw\bin
	C:\my-root\sys\sage
	C:\my-root\sys\araxis
	C:\dm\bin
	C:\Borland\Bcc55\Bin
	C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\FrameworkSDK\include\
	C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\FrameworkSDK\include\
	C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\bin\
	C:\lcc\bin
	C:/Program Files/Intel/CPP/Compiler80/Ia32/Bin
	C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\FrameworkSDK\include\
	C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\FrameworkSDK\include\
	C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\
	C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\PlatformSDK\Lib

  I mean, yow!  You have texmf, cygwin, djgpp, MKS *and* mingw all in your path at
the same time.  That's four clashing posix-on-windoze installations plus one posix
app.  I think you'd better try isolating them from each other a bit more.

  Also, I'd imagine that the reason that your install was fine until you recently
upgraded it, doesn't mean that something in setup suddenly got broken.  I think
that in between the previous upgrade and the most recent one, you installed some
other clashing software on your computer, and it's _that_ which caused the problem
next time setup tried to work.  If the post-install scripts fail and crash owing
to running in a clashing environment, you can expect lots of stuff to go wrong.

    cheers,
      DaveK