Re: Problem with installing crontab on Cygwin(1.5.11/1005.11.0.0)/WinXP SP2

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 18:33:57 -0500, Harig, Mark wrote:
> I (Barry Kelly) wrote:
> > I'm getting the following error when trying to install a
> > crontab on my account:
> >
> > $ crontab -e
> > # editing my crontab here...
> > chown: Invalid argument
>
> Please run this diagnostic script.  It will attempt to locate
> many types of common problems with cron on cygwin.
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2004-07/msg00207.html
>
> Please read the output of the script carefully.  If it finds
> problems, it suggests possible fixes, and it will also recommend
> steps to take if it is unable to detect any problems

I did what it suggested: the errors it notified me were that
/etc/passwd and /etc/group needed to be marked +r. I did this (chmod
0644).

> For what it is worth, crond is working on both Win2K and WinXP for me.

In the previous three installs of cygwin I did, it was working under
both Win2K and WinXP for me too.

However, crond (specifically, the daemon) isn't part of the problem.
Crontab fails with the error message even if the service hasn't been
started. I'll download the source and trace through it some time this
evening local time (GMT+0).

> The following commands should give you a simple, and possibly valid,
> password file:
>
>   $ mv /etc/passwd /etc/passwd.save
>   $ mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd
>   $ mkpasswd -d -u [your Windows user ID] >> /etc/passwd
>
> You would edit your entry then if you wanted to change your login
> shell, home directory, group, etc.

Sure. Did this, but got no further.

Thanks for the reply. BTW, I'm subscribed to this list and will be
until I get this error fixed, so there's no need to cc me.

-- Barry