Re: Binary read on textmode mount

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 01:52:34PM -0500, Shaffer, Kenneth wrote:
>Now, now, it seems perfectly legitimate to write a windows program
>which can access files created by gcc to run under cygwin.

Of course, if you know *exactly* what you're doing, you can get away
with all sorts of stuff in any walk of life.  You can run with
scissors.  You can use gasoline to start a fire.  You can have
52 different versions of the cygwin DLL on your system.

You didn't know *exactly* what you were doing and caused yourself
some grief thereby.  That's why, in general, it is a very bad idea
to include cygwin header files in pure windows files.

>The structure of the a.out shouldn't depend on whether I'm compiling
>under windows, cygwin, linux, solaris, whatever.

You may be able to get away with this with a.out.h (which, if so, makes
me wonder why you were having problems to begin with) but you can't
just make sweeping statements like this for any old header file.

>I just need the a.out.h file for the system on which it was created.
>(Time to change the subject line, I guess)

If this is all that you needed then it's hard to understand why we are
even having this discussion with this particular subject line.  AFAICT,
a.out.h, doesn't need fcntl.h but, if it does, that sort of proves the
point.

cgf