Re: Setup and memory usage

On 25 Nov, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>  >I can report that the problem is slightly improved in the current
>  >release of setup,
>
>  Er, there hasn't been any release of setup since the original reports.
>  The last release was on April 25, 2004.

Sorry, I jumped to a conclusion.  I was installing on a slower machine,
and this mislead me.  In fact, about two hours later, the machine was
thrashing itself to death in the usual way - the only difference was
that it happened at the 93% mark instead of the 99% mark.

>  >It would be really good if setup.log could be written incrementally.
>  >It would make setup crashes more debuggable, and should use less
>  >memory, too.
>
>  Perhaps you might like to follow the discussions about setup in
>  cygwin-apps then you could see just what is going on and what's being
>  planned for future releases.

I'll try to.  I managed to get enough CPU cycles to cancel the install
in the end.  As usual, theis is followed by an alert panel saying that
setup couldn't open c:\cygwin/var/log/setup.log for writing.  (Perhaps
because there was no memory.)

Anyway, I'm glad we kept the snapshot of a mirror from back in July -
of the 3 local mirrors, it is the only version of Cygwin which can be
installed.  All others fail but thrash the machine to death trying to
install.

Is this just a local problem here, do you think?  Other people are,
somehow, still able to install Cygwin these days?  Any idea how they do
it?  I was thinking that we could copy the setup.exe from our one old
working mirror to our later mirror(s), but setup.exe is dated April 26th
2004, so if the problem is with setup, wouldn't that suffer the same
problem?

luke