Re: A vexing installation problem

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 10:32:09PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Cygwin initialization code isn't particularly hard to debug.  You just
> set breakpoints and debug it like any other part of cygwin.  It's
> actually easier to debug than most other pieces because there aren't
> multiple threads running.

When I strace the same program several times, the trace doesn't always
end at the same spot.  While the bug may be in the DLL initialization
code, the intermittent and inconsistent behavior smells like a race
condition.

I later figured out that when these programs fail, they exit with an
"access violation" error code.  I tried running one under the Visual
Studio debugger and it appeared that the access violation was in
kernel32.dll.  With no backtrace information available.

The affected system is a dual Xeon workstation.

-- Dave