Re: A vexing installation problem

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 10:44:34AM -0800, David Hinds wrote:
>I've attached "strace" output from running "ls".  The output is
>slightly different from previous attempts, because I'd been able to
>run the postinstall scripts to populate /etc/passwd and /etc/group;
>but the failure mode appears unchanged, with death following shortly
>after signals are enabled.  The trace is still slightly variable from
>one run to the next; sometimes I get one or two messages about locks,
>sometimes not.

>Program name: C:\local\cygwin\bin\ls.exe (1336)
>App version:  1005.0, api: 0.88
>DLL version:  1005.12, api: 0.116
>DLL build:    2004-11-10 08:34
>OS version:   Windows NT-5.1
>Heap size:    402653184
>Date/Time:    2004-12-01 10:27:38

Nothing interesting there.

The snapshot 2004-12-01 snapshot was built with debugging enabled:

http://cygwin.com/snapshots/cygwin1-20041201.dll.bz2

Could you try running this under gdb to see if you get more of a clue
about where cygwin is dying?  The last entry in the snapshot is not
necessarily indicative of this.

To debug cygwin:

1) Put the latest version of the dll which works for you
   in a directory "foo" along with a copy of gdb.exe.

2) Set the environment variable CYGWIN_TESTING=1 at the windows
   prompt.

3) Debug a cygwin application by typing:

   c:\foo\gdb /bin/pwd

   (do not cd to the foo directory here)

4) Type "run".

5) If you get a SEGV, it is possible that it is just a natural occurrence
   of calling BadWritePtr.  Type 'continue' a few times to make sure that
   the SEGV address does not change.

6) Type "backtrace" and report the results here.

cgf