RE: 1.5.12: problems without registry keys

  You aren't telling us the whole truth.  There's no way on earth it should even
load, let alone crash: you should get a requester saying "Could not find missing
dll in path...".

>    My application is a bit complicated to explain, but
> usually froze at some point trying to open a file
> stream.

  If it doesn't have cygwin dll, how can it possibly be trying to open a file?
It can't even start up.

>  Says to me, cygwin1.dll just needs the keys to exist.

  But the crash only happens on systems that _don't_ have cygwin1.dll, according
to what you said to start with, so I don't think that cygwin1.dll can be blamed
for the crash, since it doesn't exist and isn't involved.

  Says to me, you're trying to cheat the compiler/OS/dynamic loader with some
sneaky and supposedly clever trick that doesn't actually work.  Alas you left
out this vital detail in your bug report.

    cheers,
      DaveK